If your lights flicker when switching on or off an appliance, this could be an indicator that the wiring needs updating. Old wiring made with aluminium may corrode over time and become an unnecessarily dangerous fire risk.

Problems associated with aluminium wiring are increasingly common in older homes, often used with devices designed for copper. Professional services can assist you in updating your electrical wiring safely.

1. Flickering Lights

Flickering lights may be caused by various electrical problems. If they only occur in one light fixture, it could be something as simple as needing new bulbs or switches installed, but if multiple lights flicker within a specific area of your house, then there could be issues with your circuit (old wiring, breakers, and connectors may become frayed with use).

Voltage fluctuations can also make lights flicker, and this effect may be particularly apparent when using appliances that draw large amounts of current on startup. This could indicate either a malfunctioning breaker box or loose service conductors, which pose major fire risks. Should you suspect such voltage fluctuation, an electrician can quickly diagnose and resolve the problem.

2. High electricity bills

As energy bills skyrocket, they can negatively impact a household’s disposable income and lead to debt. But there are steps residents can take to decrease their energy expenses: insulation in their homes and taking regular metre readings are two effective strategies.

Tizo Seleman and Saada Mwalimu, care workers who reside in Glasgow’s Springburn district in 1960s blocks, can expect their heating bills to decrease thanks to energy-saving measures taken by their housing association. By replacing old inefficient electric heaters with a low-carbon “district heating” system that shares heat from an air source pump on the roof among flats, saving both money and emissions, this should prove highly cost-effective and one the city is looking at expanding, yet major efficiency upgrades often cost quite heavily.

3. Faulty Appliances

Faulty appliances can cause numerous electrical problems in homes. These devices may produce voltage sags and dips (serious drops in voltage that flicker the lights) or generate power surges that damage microprocessor electronics found within modern appliances.

Over time, multiple small power surges caused by malfunctioning appliances can cause just as much damage as one powerful surge. Therefore, it is vital that consumers use surge protectors and always plug appliances into outlets that match their wattage ratings.

Faulty appliances can cause irreparable damage to light switches and electrical outlets, along with their fragile connectors, when left to run unchecked. A fire may break out at any moment; it is best to contact an electrician as soon as you see or smell smoke!

4. Electrical shocks

Electricity in your home can be a boon, but when something goes amiss with its wiring, it can quickly turn into a nightmare. Faulty switches, wires, or appliances may lead to unexpected and potentially dangerous shocks if anything malfunctions with them.

Electric shocks can be fatal. Our bodies are highly conductive to electricity, and even minor shocks can result in first- or second-degree burns or other injuries. If someone is shocked, try disconnecting their power source as quickly as possible; use rubber or wooden objects to push them away if they are still connected.

At home, it’s wise to have your electrical system regularly examined by an accredited electrician and to avoid being near fallen powerlines.

5. Backstabbed Outlets and Wires

Backstabbing is an insecure method of wiring outlets, switches, and receptacles (see picture). It involves pushing neutral (white) and hot wires (red, blue, or yellow) through holes at the back of an outlet without screwing securely; this can lead to problems over time such as intermittent power, circuit breaker tripping for that circuit, physical damage to outlets, including melting or singed parts, as well as physical instabilities with their connections.

Unfortunately, some electricians still engage in backstabbing because it’s faster and cheaper than more secure methods. Recognising and correcting backstabbed outlets is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to enhance electrical safety in your home or business and may save money in repairs as well as potential fire risks. You can do it in just five minutes!